Friday 7 September 2012

Do I need to slow down? No way!

Gosh, over a year since I've blogged!  Still here!?!

The athletic's season has taken over my summer - and maybe the family's too - but this weekend, sees the end of "track" 2012. I was gently pushed into working towards being a Level 3 timekeeper back in May, and having been "reported" on as a "chief" during a very hot and sunny day in April at the gorgeous track in Eton, where I looked after (!) the timekeepers during the second day of the International Schools Championships, I decided it wasn't such a bad idea.

ATHLETICS

It takes a minimum of two years and six reports. So one down. The other 5 reports (this is when you are literally followed, assessed and a written report made out) have to be:-  1.  show you can read photofinish (tomorrow).  2. Clerk of Course - a very physical role making sure all the correct equipment is in the right place at the right time etc. 3 & 4 - reports on me as a timekeeper and in my county or region is ok (know the rules & regs, keep within .05 error at end of day, with only a few .1+ errors allowed - that is hundreds and tenths of a second).  5.  Be reported on as a timekeeper (as opposed a chief) by an "out of region" chief - from the Midlands or North of England.  Not sure how I'll go about no. 5, but I'll come up with something!

ENDURANCE
Ok. So track finishes, but as of January 2012, I became an Endurance Official too. And Endurance starts as Track finishes... Endurance being road races, cross country and multi terrain. Just a Level 2a right now, and working towards a 2b. For a timekeeper to do this is difficult because you have to gain lots of varying "experiences" - marshaling part of a course, running an event etc etc - and when there aren't many cross country timekeepers, you know that the first job everyone will ask you to do...timekeeping! 

OTHER STUFF...
The first torch bearer, Redhill

Earlier this year I joined a team to marshal the Olympic Torch as it passed through Redhill.  Little N helped too, but it was rather funny because we were put on crowd control where there were no people...  Next week is the "Tour of Britain", and again our local council will be arranging marshals which I have volunteered to do. Wonder what they'll have me doing this time!?

Also this year I helped out at the London 10k which started and finished in The Mall as the Olympic Marathon was to.
Recognise the winner?
 
 
And we enjoyed a picnic on Picadilly to celebrate the Queen's Golden Jubilee.

OLYMPICS
On the Monday before the Olympics started, I was very lucky to be given a ticket to a practice session of the Olympic Opening Ceremony.  WOW! It was just amazing.
The Industrial Revolution


 The NHS and GOSH

Party House!

And then I just HAD to see something, so in the first ballot, Little N and I were lucky enough to get 2 tickets to they Sync Swim.



LISTEN (at King's)
In January 2012, I stepped down as Chair of LISTEN. When I first agreed to take on the role I said I'd do it for a year, but 3 years later and I was still there. I haven't left the committee, but the day to day duties now land on the shoulders of Mr Vaux.  There have been numerous political issues that we've got involved with, mainly the reallocation of liver organs to donors. NHSBT and LAG (Liver Advisory Group) set up, a few years ago, a meeting for liver disease support groups from around the country. LISTEN supports all diseases around the transplant process. I won't bore you with this, but it was exceedingly interesting and very controversial, and for the moment, I think the result is what we want.

I've also continued to do ward visits and mentor patients this year. I think, as someone else mentioned this week, that we get just as much out of talking to such inspirational characters, as they do meeting a "healthy transplantee".  I seem to now be doing a ward visit once a month and mentoring at the group support monthly too, so my visits to King's has reduced a little. The committee meetings we try to fit in with other meetings, so when there is "Group" or a few of us on ward visits. 

This year, as it isn't run every year, was the King's Open Day.  A great day out for kids especially, but lots to learn for the adults too, with all the departments of the hospital having a representation. Lots of activities for kids including being plastered (and yes Little N did just that...at 17), and lots of freebies and games. I took my turn with the other mentors to talk to people about LISTEN. Really great fun!



KIDS
Master A came home from uni for the summer and next week, will finish his summer stint at Chessington World of Adventures, or as my parents remember it, "Chessington Zoo".  Next weekend we (as many parents) will be taking him back to uni, where this time he is sharing a house off campus, with 2 lads from Dartford.  I think they'll have a ball!

Little N next week starts her A'level year (A2s).  Photography, Englist Lit & Lang, Art & Design (Fashion). She's also got a 2nd interview at New Look, so 2012/13 could be a very different and busy year for her!

SUMMER
Not the season - the dog!  Summer and Harris are still in love.  But now Summer has had all her DNA, hip and eye tests done, we're ready to find a Sire for her, and Harris has had the chop!  Next Spring could bring lots of Summers!!!
 My lovely friend Judy, with my Summer (left) and her Harris (right)

Summer is an enternal joy for all of us.  If I'm out of the house for even an hour, she goes crazy excited when I get home. This is much better than teenage grunts, I can tell you!!  She also goes quite mad when she see's Aunty Steph and Aunty Tracy, who she met the very first week we bought her home - three years ago.  She also rather loves her Aunty Naomi who brings her treats.  But when she sees Harris!  Well, everytime is like all her Christmas's have come at once (and she rather loves her cuddles with Aunty Judy and Uncle Rob...  Oh dear, what do I sound like?

ME
I feel fine. But then I only ever realise I didn't, when I feel fine!  I've had a biopsy and MRCP following erratic blood results this year, but then everything settles on its own with no intervention.  Quite a few steroids, but that's it. So in all, I'd say all is very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment