Wednesday 5 May 2010

Dogs and Times

Daft dog and I endeavour to complete an hour's dog training every Wednesday morning! Yes, "we" try - outcome however, is always hit and miss!!


Today was no exception... To tempt my mad pooch to do as she's told I take a rasher of cooked bacon - generally it works! In a class of about 7, it was decided today that we would practice all aspects of the Kennel Club Bronze Award in preparation for the "exam" later this month. We managed the walk and heel, walking through the gate (perfectly) and a series of "leave" commands. But when we got to the "down and stay"... Well put it this way. I would get her to lie down and command to stay. Walk about 10 paces away. Set my stopwatch. Look back....and she's behind me... I would get her to lie down and command to stay. Walk about 10 paces away. Set my stopwatch. Look back....and she's behind me... I would get her to lie down and command to stay. Walk about 10 paces away. Set my stopwatch. Look back....and she's behind me... Get the picture?!!

By the end of training we were both exhausted - and she's drug free!?!

Today was also a day for me to start catching up on my paid work - blogging for a travel company. And the articles I wrote included Florida Theme Parks, Family Holidays in Tenerife, Monaco Grand Prix 2010 and Cheap Holidays in somewhere or other (can't remember now!).

I have been travel blogging for around a year now, and I simply love investigating places I've never been to and sharing places with others, that I have. And the responses are always fantastic. I can write about the Grand National one day, and surfing in Barbados, another. Or Driving in the UK, then Things to do in and around Malaga...

Today I was quite tired (I think the weekend is still catching up on me) - but I also got to chat to some of the committee of LISTEN At King's, the charity I currently chair which provides support for pre and post liver transplant patients.

We are publishing a booklet about the charity, posters about the up and coming MID SUMMER BALL (Sat 26 June - tickets just £60 each) - signs to go up in Liver Out Patients - and desperately trying to get our brand new website updated so we can officially launch it. The committee is a GREAT team and this year, they really have had to be patient with me and my multiple trips and stays at King's.

Always, thank you.

No rest for the wicked - and tonight I was booked to timekeep at Kingsmeadow Athletic Track near Kingston. And what an interesting evening? As I've mentioned before, I am "young" in the world of officiating; often in age, but always in experience, and tonight I worked with two gentlemen of which one was an RAF pilot in the Second World War and who will be at Buckingham Palace this weekend with Prince Charles as it is the 65th Anniversary of VE-Day (the end of the war). Bless them both - I was "chief" - but as I was the best mover on two legs, I suppose it made sense. I do hope they didn't mind?! The athletics meet was quite small, so it was easy to "manage" but not without a few little hiccups, which I'm pleased to say I caught and rectified before any issues arose..

Tomorrow I am going to King's for a meeting with one of the Consultants and then blood tests - but before this I am due to meet with the King's press officer. It would be great to get some exposure for LISTEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment